Here are some local and National help-lines, local feeding program locations, and other emergency-related phone and online contacts. These are especially helpful during the current COVID-19 Crisis.
- The Disaster Distress Helpline – The Disaster Distress Helpline is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. The number is 800-985-5990.
- National Crisis Hotline – The National Crisis Hotline deals with all types of emergencies and people in crisis. Answered by trained people and totally confidential. 24/7 and 365. The number is 800-273-8255.
Local Information and Resources
City of Bristol VA Information: Community preparedness page
Bristol Crisis Center Hotline 1-800-273-8255 or 276-466-2312
Highlands Community Services – Highland Community Services (HCS) recognizes that individuals will struggle with anxiety during this time of change and uncertainty. HCS continues to expand and update online resources for the community at www.highlandscsb.org/resources.
For situations involving the risk for abuse, Abuse Alternatives Inc. is open and here to help. Call our 24/7 CRISIS Hotline at 423-764-2287 or 800-987-6499. TTY/Hearing Impaired: 423-652-9750
- Meals: (Updated 4/13/2020): Beginning the week of April 13th, school meals will be distributed on Tuesdays and Thursdays ONLY. Tuesday meals will cover breakfast and lunch for two days (Tuesday and Wednesday). Thursday meals will cover breakfast and lunch for three days (Thursday, Friday and Monday). A huge shout out goes to the meal preparation and delivery team as they delivered over 6,000 meals last Thursday, April 8th, alone!
- Technology: We are in the process of providing temporary Hot Spots for families without internet connectivity. We are doing our best to make direct communication with those families. If you know of a family who does not have internet, please ask them to contact their Child’s principal. We hope to have the Hot Spots delivered by mid-April.
City of Bristol VA Transit Changes as of 03/30/2020
United Way of Bristol TN/VA: Limited assistance may be available
AEP: Temporarily suspending service disconnections
Haven of Rest Meals: The Haven of Rest is offering hot meals beginning at 5:00PM, Sunday through Friday evenings (Saturday evening meals are being provided by Sharing Christ on State Street). The Haven of Rest Food Pantry is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoon. The Emergency Pantry is open M-W-F from 1:00PM – 3:00PM. Showers will also be available beginning on Tuesday, April 28th. The Haven of Rest can be reached at (423) 968-2011. The Thrift Store is currently closed.
Salvation Army: Take-away meals only. Food pantry limited hours/days. Please call before traveling: (423) 764-6156
Feeding Southwest Virginia: Hot meals Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays from 10am-1pm – take away only. Abingdon location.
Bristol Emergency Food Pantry: Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 1pm until 4pm on first-come, first serve basis.
Rockhold United Methodist Church 3rd Saturdays starting at 9:30am
First Trinity Pentecostal Church 3rd Saturdays starting at 9:00am
Covenant Fellowship Church “The Little Free Pantry” at 2004 Lee Hwy, Bristol, VA.
Nurse Connect is the toll-free line that connects you with experienced nurses around the clock!
Call Nurse Connect at 833-8-BALLAD (833‑822-5523) when you need to ask a nurse for:
- Expert medical advice – anytime, day or night.
- A referral to a new primary care provider – with a location and hours convenient for you.
- A referral to a physician specialist – when you need advanced local medical care.
- Health information and resources – including health screenings and immunizations.
- An urgent care clinic – to see a doctor near you today.